Riley Cars
Riley Cars
As old as the industry as modern as the hour
   Home      Riley wheels      Other vintage wheels

Many other manfacturers made their own wheels or bought them in from pure wheel makers, below are some of them.
 
Avon safety wheel -   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avon_Safety_Wheel although a brilliant safety idea they did not catch on as fitting the tyre was not as easy as a standard wheel, see further down for the Rubery Owen safety wheel which seemed to suffer from the same problem.
 

 
A video explaining all here -  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ovi19TtNJo 
 
 
 
Above left shows the safety wheel and a standard wheel, on the right the procedure for fitting a tyre to the safety wheel.
 
BSA and Daimler  -  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BSA 
 
Shown are identical BSA and Daimler spanners and wheels with 2 slight variations in design.
 
 
 
 

 
 
Budd - see "Michelin"
 
Daimler - see BSA
 
Dayton Wire Wheels -  Dayton Wire Wheels 
 
 
 
 
Very well known in their time, this wheel fitted with a Daimler cap.
 
 
 
Dunlop - 4 stud disc wheels shown here fitted to a Riley 1920's chassis and a French advert.
 

 
 
Houk - 
 

 
Humber -
 
  
 
 


Rubery Owen -  http://www.ruberyowen.com/  A British company still trading, not only did they make wheels but chassis and anything else it seems!
 
 
The Rostyle (Rubery Owen Style) wheel they made in the 1960/70's was a steel pressing shaped and painted to imitate "alloys"

 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rostyle_wheel 1960's and 70's  
 
Their safety wheel appears to have suffered the same as the Avon safety wheel in that it was more difficult to fit the tyre
 

 
 
 
Rudge Whitworth -  Rudge-Whitworth 
 
 
     
 
   
 
 

 


 
 
 
 
Salisbury wheel & Mfg. Co. Jamestown N.Y. - The Salisbury Wheel Company was founded in Jamestown, New York, in 1901 when C.W. Salisbury, a key-maker and mender of umbrellas, patented an automobile wheel, then pooled his life savings with two colleagues, Scott Penfield and E.D. Sherman, and started manufacture. Salisbury's first customer was the E.R. Thomas company, maker of the Thomas Flyer. In 1905, the company started manufacturing front axles. Two years later rear axles were added to its product line. Acquired by Spicer in 1919, Salisbury was moved to Toledo in 1929, closer to the center of the automotive industry. Salisbury axles became standard equipment in thousands of automotive vehicles. At the outbreak of World War II the light, Salisbury's rugged axles proved ideal for the Jeep. The Jeep proved so popular that in 1945 Salisbury had to build a new plant in Fort Wayne, Indiana. In 1970, the Salisbury Axle group was renamed the Spicer Axle Division.
 

 
Sankey -  Sanky 
 
 
 
Stepney -   Stepney